Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My Brush With Barack Obama, President of the United States

From Across the Room (a blog series about my brush with interesting people)

Who'd a thought the light-skinned young man I was looking at while sitting in that restaurant owned by Issac Byrd (a well-known, local lawyer) a few years ago would one day be the president of the United States? I guess they knew (the people who brought him to Mississippi), but I didn't. All I knew was that he was a charismatic, important, young, black, up-and-coming politician with a funny name from Chicago who wanted to be an Illinois U.S. Senator. That was huge, even for us here in Mississippi. So, I wanted to attend the breakfast and donate a little money to his campaign. I listened carefully to what Mr. Obama had to say that morning. Low and behold, the man was breath-taking! I am not kidding you. I know something special when I see it and this man had it.  So much so that I reached deep into my pocket book and donated $200 I did not have and another $100 given to me from Mom Potter (who was visiting from Illinois). I do not have to tell you the rest of the story because you already know it. It's American History....which I witnessed just last month with my own eyes in Washington, D.C when Mr. Obama was sworn in for a second term (it was amazing just to be there and see his tiny ant face again...that's how far back I was).  One last thing, though.... you all know about that gad-fly of a smoking habit that our president has, right? Well, I saw it with my own eyes. I stuck around outside long enough to see him get into his limo, light a cigarette and take a  quick puff. He sped off in haste, calming his worked-up nerves, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Joanie, I did not know you saw Mr Obama back then. How cool is that. BTW, I like your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Joanie. I wish he could serve another term.

    ReplyDelete